Watchmen: Dayguardians and Nightwalkers

Go down

Watchmen: Dayguardians and Nightwalkers

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 am

Hello people!

I'm gonna suggest something I did with other guild I had in other games and it was pretty handy.

I've noticed that the guild is based on Oceanic hours right? New Zealand/Australia and Pacific hours, U.S.A., etc...

Well I had with other guilds the same thing and we always used a system of "guarding" in the guild.
I will explain at this point.

We called it "Watchmen" or "Watchers" and it consisted of two groups:

-Dayguardians
-Nightwalkers

-The Dayguardians were consisted of the main guild members that had the same GMT hours, and play during their day time. This group would manage guild affairs and stand guard during their day time

-The Nightwalkers were the rest of the guild that had the GMT hours "reversed" from the Dayguardians. This group would manage guild affairs and stand guard at night (but it's really daytime for Nightwalkers and night for the Dayguardians while the Nightwalkers are "on duty")

I hope I made myself clear
Well it's just a technique my guilds used,, and I remembered to share it with you guys, to see if you like it.

It's just an idea, I used to be a Watcher/Watchmen in my guilds, because I was GMT+00, so I was a Nightwalker in most of the time, because the guilds were all Pacific and Oceanic based.

Tell me what you think.
Logan

Back to top Go down

Re: Watchmen: Dayguardians and Nightwalkers

Post  Toranilor on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 am

Would be handy for confusing and scaring our enemies. Give the illusion that we never sleep. We had this back in my old lotro guild, but we referred to them as 'yank patrol'. It's a good idea for maintaining order while the main body of the adminstrative staff of the guild are offline, but you'd have to have a pretty good screening process... don't want someone making a bad name for the guild without Quinlan there to.... 'quiet' them.
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 am

Yes I agree, that's why It requires time to organize and TOR is released in 2011, I was wondering in suggesting to the guild to try and experiment this on the beta if most of the guild is chosen to play it.

It would be a good way to see how it goes and put it to use in 2011 in TOR.
Logan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 am

I think this would be a great idea...considering that there is a stable divide between the top two major time zones. Would we then have to appoint those to command those watches though? If everything gets sorted out I would fully say support this idea.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 am

I'm happy to ear that
If the Guild Masters aprove this idea, I would gladly volunteer to help organize it.

I have some experience with this system, I used to be a Nightwalker (The names can be changed if you want of course, theese were just the names we used in other MMO's) and I found many ways to defend my guild with this system, mostly in surprise attacks from another faction or contested territories.
The best defense is a good ofense, so why not intimidate our Empire enemies, to let them know we are always Watching? (Therefor the name: Watchers)
If we could organize this well, we could have some higher ranks in both Watch posts, dayguardians and nightwalkers, for example: a general or field marshal controlling the posts, in case of attack, we have more time to regroup and organize a counter-attack/defense with strong strategy, instead of praying that the enemies will leave or get tired of the attack, because that doesn't happen! We must concentrate on working as a group and If we can't all be at the same time online, why not use the system? I can be a watchmen, I volunteer, I don't know how TOR will exactly be, but there will be territories, and in those territories there will be enemies from the Empire...enough is said (I think )

I must share with you this: In Warhammer Online and Lord of the Rings Online, my guilds used to plan the attacks based on this system, instead of stopping the attack during daytime, we planned during daytime, attacked in the night and sometime the battles were so short, because we used the system and surprised our enemies, they never saw it coming.
As for the defenses, it was a matter of posts and watching, It was my main job when I wasn't doing other guild affairs.
I even got the title of "Shadowatcher" (Shadow-Watcher), it was a title that my Warhammer Online guild gave me, for reporting important enemy activity, I was also a general, so I had the advantage of knowing the grounds and plan the attacks and defenses in the areas I reported enemy activity.
This was also used in Guild Wars, but it was not the same thing, because Guild Wars had a different guild/faction combat system.

The same can be used in space if TOR has space battles, the theory and logic is the same as above.

Tell me what you think guys.
Logan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurora Antares on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:11 am

Wouldn't it be reversed though? I would think most people won't be able to play during their daytime hours because a little thing called work and/or college may get in the way... but I'm only an amateur so I'm not speaking gospel Smile
Aurora Antares

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 am

Yes I know what your saying but...
You won't expect that the entire guild be online at the same time do you? But you have free time aswell, like weekends and free days that's when theese attacks can be planned and executed, the watch posts can be done everyday when you log on.
Logan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:00 am

Interesting idea you have there. With so little info on how combat, PvP, and how guilds will work its very difficult to plan something like this. Unless I misunderstand you are referring to having players assigned to guarding a guild base or scouting an enemy base/players. It would be nice to be able to have a guild base to defend and enemy bases to attack.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 am

Arashi wrote:Interesting idea you have there. With so little info on how combat, PvP, and how guilds will work its very difficult to plan something like this. Unless I misunderstand you are referring to having players assigned to guarding a guild base or scouting an enemy base/players. It would be nice to be able to have a guild base to defend and enemy bases to attack.

Yes, that's it, Bioware said that Guilds would have some sort of HQ's/Bases or Spacecrafts that could be defended and attacked I think, I saw it on the Official forums, we'll just have to wait to see if it's true. But I understand It is difficult to plan this without the game's official information on combat system and PvP.

Thank you for your replies so far and for considering the ideia interesting
Logan

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:12 am

It would indeed be awesome to have a round the clock security team responsible for the safety of your super-awesome asteroid base.
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

Toranilor wrote:Would be handy for confusing and scaring our enemies. Give the illusion that we never sleep. We had this back in my old lotro guild, but we referred to them as 'yank patrol'. It's a good idea for maintaining order while the main body of the adminstrative staff of the guild are offline, but you'd have to have a pretty good screening process... don't want someone making a bad name for the guild without Quinlan there to.... 'quiet' them.

haha, nonsense! Quin is always lurking and kev never sleeps! so someone is always watching! =D mowhahaha
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:10 am

I think labeling people as either a Daywalker or Nightcrawler (not liking the vampiric references either...) is contrary to the foundation of the guild.

We are in essence a casual guild so that basically amounts to no one being expected to be on at specific times, some days I may be too busy to be on, some nights likewise - my time constraints change from day to day and the guild is set up to cater to that sort of gamer.

I know for a fact there are some members who will be on almost 24/7, some will find scarce time to play except weekends, if even that, and putting them in a category may make them feel obliged to be on and there shouldn't be obligations like that.

The only exception to the casual concept are those that step forward to serve the guild more, because they should only step forward if they have the time available to commit to various administrative and organisational tasks.

The root of the suggestion is a very important point though, and that is how do we ensure that people in some timezones do not end up playing alone. After all, why join a guild if you never see your guildmates?

This has been discussed in the past within the Elder Council and will continue to be discussed as it will be an ongoing concern for some members. We do of course, as always, welcome your suggestions.
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:19 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:I think labeling people as either a Daywalker or Nightcrawler (not liking the vampiric references either...) is contrary to the foundation of the guild.

We are in essence a casual guild so that basically amounts to no one being expected to be on at specific times, some days I may be too busy to be on, some nights likewise - my time constraints change from day to day and the guild is set up to cater to that sort of gamer.

I know for a fact there are some members who will be on almost 24/7, some will find scarce time to play except weekends, if even that, and putting them in a category may make them feel obliged to be on and there shouldn't be obligations like that.

I think what Logan may have been suggesting is an alternate chain-of-command for when the main body of OUF is offline. Just to clear up confusion about responsibilities and decision making off peak.

Also, it's another title to add to the inventory!
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 am

Toranilor wrote:I think what Logan may have been suggesting is an alternate chain-of-command for when the main body of OUF is offline. Just to clear up confusion about responsibilities and decision making off peak.

Also, it's another title to add to the inventory!

Oh well in that case it is overkill considering the existing guild structure/heirarchy which currently has 20 members in positions of responsibility ranging from Lieutenant to Elder Councillor.
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 am

I think its already a diverse enough system, unless there happens to be some type of guild defense in PVP, in which case its up to the assault militia division to devise a strategy in defense, where there is some one always available to defend the base/planet/ship.

Organizing an alternate leadership within the guild just makes things a lot more complex without any significant benefit.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 am

Jacan Na'al wrote:

Oh well in that case it is overkill considering the existing guild structure/heirarchy which currently has 20 members in positions of responsibility ranging from Lieutenant to Elder Councillor.

Your wisdom and practicality honours and shames me.
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am

'entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem' -Occam's Razor.

"entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity"

When possible, avoid complexity.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurora Antares on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Kevlar wrote:'entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem' -Occam's Razor.

That there is fancy talk (say this like a red neck otherwise it loses some integrity).

WAY off subject, sorry.
Aurora Antares

Back to top Go down

Post  Jalen Lojed on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Wisdom dictates that all things will reveal themselves in time. If there is a need after game date realise it will be evident. That doesn't mean forsight is not a good idea. I feel it wouldn't hurt to have individuals aware of the need and available ahead of time if the need arises.
Jalen Lojed

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 pm

I understand Masters
I'm just glad that you discussed and took this into consideration, It's enough for me
As for the names, those were just the names we used in other MMO's
Logan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 pm

It is a great idea and we always appreciate ideas from any and all members. Like Toran said, depending on how the game turns out we might have to look at implementing something like this on the Assault Militia side. That is unfortunately many moons away. I remember doing something similar to this in SWG. We had bases around our guild city and I thoroughly enjoyed defending them. That was one of the most enjoyable memories from SWG.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 am

yeah, some actual organization to do with timetable-wise would be a decent idea once we get closer to launch. At this moment it is still a bit premature, as some of our routines and online times may change by next year's time.

But splitting the leadership to 12 hour periods is a recipie for confusion, the best idea is probably drawing up some type of graph or program to map out people's average online overlap when we get t-1 month launch.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Dessanar on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 pm

well i am from the UK so my gaming time might be a bit different to others (mind you I dont intend on sleeping for the first few weeks after launch)

So it might be good to get separate teams so make sure the guild is well represented at all times so count me in.
Dessanar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum