death penalties: which one is most appealing to you?

Go down

death penalties: which one is most appealing to you?

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 am

I had seen quite a few people speaking in a blog about what will happen when you die, though this was some time ago, I have decided to resurrect the issue here. Wondering which death is most appealing to all of you, I have set up multiple options which I have gathered over a period of time, searching through several death systems that have been put into place by mmo's of the past.

1: Clone yourself. Used in SWG, upon death your items are stored in what is like a "lost and found" and you can retrieve your gear after a fee, payment will be relatively cheap, and will vary by your level and rarity of the gear. When you have used your Clone, you are required to clone yourself again and cloning yourself costs credits as well. The alternate to cloning, is waking up in a bacta tank, with your gear damaged, and your attributes decreased by 75%, which can be fixed by paying a doctor.

2: Loss of items upon death, such as what has been seen on Runescape. On death, you lose all but a certain amount of items, everything that you drop is lootable by players. This gives the player a sense of caution, knowing that they must protect themselves to keep their armor and loot. A vast majority of hardcore gamers preferred this system, giving them a sense of immersion, knowing that if they die, they can lose everything in a second that isnt bound to your character, like trade items and weapons that can be traded.

3: Ghost death, which has been recognized mostly by those who have played WOW. All that is required is that you return to your corpse with no major problems (except armour durability loss). Essentially, this system allows people to run around in all their best gear without the fear of losing it at the point of death. Also added to this death system is the ability to ressurrect yourself at a graveyard, though this causes major durability loss and temporary loss of attributes.

4: Permenant death. If your character is killed in battle, it stays dead. Though not very popular by most of the gaming community, it is still loved by a smaller portion of the gaming community for its amazing ability to immerse yourself with your character. Infact, many player in the TOR community have tried petitioning that the dev's create a server that allows permanent death. (in truth I would love to have an alternate character on that server.)

Personally, for this game, I hope that they implement option 4. Mostly because it is perfect for the whole star wars feel in the game.

So which of these is most appealing to you? (if I missed any death systems, just post what I have missed and I will update it.)

Last edited by Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Re: death penalties: which one is most appealing to you?

Post  Tyren Vaal on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 am

To be honest the only ones I find appealing is 1 and 4, I'm sure there are a lot more death penalties however, I'll help find the SWTOR thread on it.

Considering this is game is suppose to immerse you into it, and it has a story line I doubt Perma-death will work out.
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jano Vas on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:46 am

Penalty, yes. Permanent loss of anything (items, permadeath), no.
Jano Vas

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 am

Tyren Vaal wrote:To be honest the only ones I find appealing is 1 and 4, I'm sure there are a lot more death penalties however, I'll help find the SWTOR thread on it.

Thanks..didnt know there was a thread on it. When I tried to check, it was impossible to find anything on death penalties.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:00 am

Heres the thread, has some interesting responses as well.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=7137&highlight=Death+Penalty
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 am

interesting. I see a few of my options in their as well.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 am

I prefer LotRO way of doing it.

Death means you resurrect at a "res circle" with all your gear intact (some damage to it) and you get a 10min penalty to everything.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacan Na'al on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:27 am

Quinlan Sa'athis wrote:I prefer LotRO way of doing it.

Death means you resurrect at a "res circle" with all your gear intact (some damage to it) and you get a 10min penalty to everything.

I like LotRO's way of handling death as well.
Jacan Na'al

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Though interesting, permanent death will never happen. Finding a balance between gameplay and role-playing is difficult. Questing, camping, waiting for spawns, crafting ... all these things are time-consuming enough. Last thing I want is to spend my precious time recovering from death. It should be slightly inconvenient ... nothing more. Another option would be to make it instance-specific ... for example, if you're just grinding away in an area, death shouldn't be that serious. If you're raiding some epic character, death should have more serious consequences.
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jano Vas on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Jacan Na'al wrote:
Quinlan Sa'athis wrote:I prefer LotRO way of doing it.

I like LotRO's way of handling death as well.

LoTRO is great at PVE too. I also dig "mentoring" so even high level players can hang with lower level members.
Jano Vas

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:16 pm

With the whole Master and Apprentice lore of SW I think its likely there will be a mentoring system.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:04 pm

I hope so, because when I played in WOW I was the usual one of many that would help lower level members in a raid much to difficult for them.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Well cloning is fitting to the SW's lore. I like the idea of also having to go back to the spot you died to collect any gear you had. I think it would be good to loose some thing you had on you if someone loots you before you make it back. That way you will be more careful not to die. I think loosing an item on you is a tough one to implement, but I do like it. To help make it more do able I think you could have the option to put like 10 items in your inventory as "safe". The safe items would be not be lootable(if lootable is a word lol). I also feel that the person looting you could pick maybe one item out of three random items picked by the computer. Or possibly one item from the list of non safe items.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Arashi wrote:Well cloning is fitting to the SW's lore. I like the idea of also having to go back to the spot you died to collect any gear you had. I think it would be good to loose some thing you had on you if someone loots you before you make it back. That way you will be more careful not to die. I think loosing an item on you is a tough one to implement, but I do like it. To help make it more do able I think you could have the option to put like 10 items in your inventory as "safe". The safe items would be not be lootable(if lootable is a word lol). I also feel that the person looting you could pick maybe one item out of three random items picked by the computer. Or possibly one item from the list of non safe items.

Interesting idea, I would be ok with that if I would be able to pick my ten items (hoping they have bound items in the game) so then I could keep all that matters, kudos.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Master Nuuk on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Number 4.
Master Nuuk

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:23 am

I am completely against losing ANY physical item.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:51 am

Use to play this MMO called Tibia, when upon one of the patches they implemented item drop on death, not only that, but people can actually loot the item upon your death.
While it was fun and immersive in the first few weeks, eventually the game devolved into a power-abusive heaven where high level players who could survive while being tagged as a Player-Killer went around killing lower rank players not belonging to their guild on mass and selling or distributing the looted equipment amongst their friends.

So I'm definitely not for lootable deathdropped items, nor loss of items upon PVP death, I suppose losing items upon PVE death would give you incentive on being more cautious, so I'm not too sure how I feel about that.

A better way I think to treat death penalties would be damaging your equipment on death and maybe experience loss or degraded abilities for x amount of time.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:44 am

My vote: The LOtR method.
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Toranilor on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 am

Carlen Darko wrote:My vote: The LOtR method.

I hope you mean the LOTRO method.

If this is the case, I wholeheartedly agree.

Maybe not the self-rez though. If you die, you should have to walk back.
Toranilor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

I still see the SWG method as the method that seems to go hand-in-hand with star wars.
Though I may be wrong, since I do not think cloning was around back during this time period.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Toranilor wrote:
Carlen Darko wrote:My vote: The LOtR method.

I hope you mean the LOTRO method.

That's the one! :)
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Foilole on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 am

Im all for the Cloning or WOW method, which ever as long as you keep your stuff. I personally hate the Drop on death method have tryed it in Runescape and it aint that good. People would just (apart from hardcore high levels players) take all there Exspensive gear off
Foilole

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum