Player housing?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Player housing?

Post  Delyn on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 am

heres a link to an article about housing in TOR. i link this part because the article at the site is in german

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MMORPG%20News%20Alert%20Email&utm_source=MMORPG&loadnews=14803&bhcp=1

http://www.swtor-station.com/index.php?p=news&area=1&newsid=167&name=bye-gamescomhello-housing <--- german

though if you follow the darth hater link it has a little blurb on it. no pic though

Last edited by Delyn on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Delyn

Back to top Go down

Re: Player housing?

Post  Nico Gaborik on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am

I don't know how I feel about housing
Nico Gaborik

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 am

Unfortunately player housing has always been about as useful as a Pamela Anderson is to Billy Idol. Unless either A.) It has a useful function other than aesthetics, or B.) I can walk around naked in it, I don't really care.
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:47 am

I really enjoyed player cities and player housing in SWG and I am hoping they implement it into TOR.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 am

I remember my brief foray into Galaxies and even further back to UO, you could not go 5m without running into someones house that had just started to load on top of you.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 am

Player housing seems okay for me, if anything I would like there to be some Guild housing thing (like capital ships?) that was a potential idea.
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusic Terron on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Udumbara wrote:Unfortunately player housing has always been about as useful as a Pamela Anderson is to Billy Idol. Unless either A.) It has a useful function other than aesthetics, or B.) I can walk around naked in it, I don't really care.

I have to agree, player housing has to have some use other then just being a place you can walk around in.
Rusic Terron

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico Gaborik on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

I recall Final Fantasy online housing was pretty lame. Game stopped for a 2 minute while it loaded a small room.
Nico Gaborik

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 am

After playing AoC abit, I must say that I enjoy the concept of guild housing or guild city, though I hope it will be a little bit more fleshed out then AoC's guild city and actually have concrete benefits.

I wouldn't even mind if it was instanced only for guild members or something, just be awesome to have some place that the guild could hang out and socialize, customize a space within the game.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Satarel Vao on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33 am

I don't mind having a nice house to walk around in.. and in SWG you could always toss a vendor in your house to make it a shop. Sell your random junk and whatnot.. justifies having the house in the first place. Player-run cities were probably my favorite aspect of SWG, so if it's in TOR I'll be a very happy guy.
Satarel Vao

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 am

I understand what your saying Kev and in LOTRO this is exactly how it was done, however there was nothing to do in the neighborhoods so they became empty very fast with people only porting in to store stuff once and a while.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Udumbara on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 am

Kevlar wrote:After playing AoC abit, I must say that I enjoy the concept of guild housing or guild city, though I hope it will be a little bit more fleshed out then AoC's guild city and actually have concrete benefits.

I wouldn't even mind if it was instanced only for guild members or something, just be awesome to have some place that the guild could hang out and socialize, customize a space within the game.

Are you talking smack about my beloved AoC?! HA! Our guild city has the most important benefit in the game ... to be able to craft high-level items. Without possessing a T2 and later T3 keep, it would be impossible for us to craft any items above lvl 70. Plus the city is plopped right in the middle of a huge resource area, which is awesome IMO. I do agree they should have someone attacking us, but eh, hopefully in the future.

Like I said before, as long as the housing is more than something pretty to look at, it's cool. Hopefully it either saves time in some way, allows you to make more money, gives your character some minor stat increases, or allows you to create items you normally couldn't make.

Another thing they could do is something like Fallout 3, where say if you logged out while you were in your house, it would provide you with a temporary stat or XP boost when you came back depending on how long you were away.
Udumbara

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:16 am

I want it only if it serves a purpose kind of like how dumdum mentioned crafting and for the obvious reason of also being able to walk around naked.

Back to top Go down

Post  Beadle on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Udumbara wrote:
Another thing they could do is something like Fallout 3, where say if you logged out while you were in your house, it would provide you with a temporary stat or XP boost when you came back depending on how long you were away.

Like Inns in WoW? God, I hope I got that right, it's been forever since I played that game....
It would be really cool if they had some sort of Guild ships like Tyren was saying then you could have orsum guild wars although I don't really see how they would be resolved...
Or if your guild ship was in orbit over a planet guildies can get bonus for trade on that planet and special abilities such as orbital bombardment, but that would be more for guild leaders.
Beadle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm not too keen on player housing unless it did provide some sort of bonus. I do like the idea (as in Oblivion, I always shoot for buying that house in Anvil just for the secret basement and it was so cheap!) but only if they manage it properly. Cuz, I'd blow alot of credits on making my house look good even though no one would see it but me. That, in turn, would screw up my gaming as I'd fail at having adequate gear. (Even though it never worked against me in Oblivion.)

Perhaps, they will provide us with more info over time. Maybe, even a player poll. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeme'Maer on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 am

All I know is that when I played SWG I was a bit surprised at the housing system they had. Their idea was good, allow the players to build houses on certain planets and even allow a group to build a player city for those that want to live together.

unfortunately though, they had yet to figure out that once a building is put up, the player could leave the game, or just lose run out of money and leave it there, empty in the middle of a wasteland. So what ended up happening was that there were a large amount of houses and player cities pockmarking the landscape, taking away from the immersion and realism of the game.

So what could they have done to stop this dilemma? Well, they could just do what they did, and just delete them after a certain amount of time. Or better yet, just create what you would call "raiding parties" to attack said house or settlement, destroying all that isn't being protected. This in many ways would force the players to either have defenses, or stay there to protect it. So as you can see, this would take a lot of money to do, meaning that most of the cities standing would be an investment to the player(s) and be there to stay most likely.

Now as to those that wish for something more useful with their guild, or just for themselves we can go farther and allow the player to create larger ships for either personal enjoyment, or a place to just hang out with your fellow guild mates, AKA guild ships. Guild ships in particular could add so much more than just for looks. If Bioware were to allow it, they could be used for a type of siege warfare, either as ground combat, space combat, or ship-to-ship boarding. To also keep overcrowding of ships, there would be periodic attacks to your ship, they would not be particulary difficult, but it could weed out those that have been idle for sometime without docking on a planet, spaceship, asteroid, etc.

A second, also interesting idea to add to the fact of guild housing, if you could have housing on both ground, and space; why would there not be guild housing on something smaller, say an asteroid? In the starwars universe there have been spacestations, moonbases, asteroid colonies, and weapons capable of the destruction of multiple planets. These have been seen all over the place, so why not in SWTOR? It would be useful for the smuggler or the bounty hunter, for both would rather like to stop somewhere with precious cargo, with no questions asked.

Heh, I know this is rather long, but this whole subject has been messing with me since October.
Jeme'Maer

Back to top Go down

Just some thoughts.

Post  Aumra on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 pm

I used to play SWG and for those people that liked player housing there, I can see why you did. However I'm gunna take a semi-unpopular stance and say I'd rather not see it in the game. First of all there are alot of logistical issues with it. Space has to be set aside, a system has to be built around it, and from what I am gathering from the info coming out of Bioware sofar, I just don;t see how it is going to happen.

Also, look at the movies. Hell, look at most adventure movies. No one has a home. It either got burnt down, the joined some army or another, or they are extreme workaholics and basically sleep at work. Sure its realistic to have a "crib" of your own. But no one is going to want to spend heaps of time there. Jedi want to save Galaxies and Sith want to own them. You don't do that by being a couch potato Wink

There is a way that a system of player constructed buildings can work though. Guildhalls. That is one place that makes a ton of sense. There are also great PvP reasons for building guildhalls and such. Done right I could jump on that bandwagon.

But I'm more for Bioware putting the time and energy into well crafted cities and planets to explore. Lets let the pros give us content. It might be fun for some to "play house" but to a degree it can really deface the game.

Just my two cents. Peace mates Smile
Aumra

Back to top Go down

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 am

I am not interested in individual space, bank/storage space is a absolute must but a "house" is ridiculous.
Although I would love to see bases, with working rooms/structures. For instance you can only achieve short range communications with wrist mounted units until you have a communications area in your base. Armory that provides weapons and armor upgrades hangers that provide ship's and workshops to upgrade those ships, Droid bays for droid augmentation, and medical units for implants etc.

All of this should be available on a public level also within the main base of the various factions so those that prefer not to join a guild are not disadvantaged.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mictian on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 am

From what I know, player housing is usually implemented in true RP games / RP modified MMO servers. If there's hints that player housing will be available, it means that SWTOR would be more of a RPG than most other MMORPGs (Y) Very Happy

Personally, I'm all for it, heck, I usually pick out random abandoned areas in games as my 'house' anyways... Laughing
Mictian

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenix on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Mictian wrote:
Personally, I'm all for it, heck, I usually pick out random abandoned areas in games as my 'house' anyways... Laughing

Heh... Yeah i usually end up doing the same. I think it would be good but perhaps have just one building that is the players 'house', but everyone enters the same building to get to their house and it loads up their house depending on who they are signed in as, this would also prevent the neccesity some of us have for so called "Mule" characters, if no matter what Char you use as long as they are registered under one account it takes you to the same house.
Fenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm

I always thought it'd be cool to have an apartment type thing, with heaps of rooms that stack pretty high, of course they could always have it instanced like Fenix said.

And there is also the problem with 'mule' characters and problems with my first idea however...
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruka on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Im happy just to live in the quarters of a Huge OUF battleship...atleast the freedom to travel is there I guess.
Ruka

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyren Vaal on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 pm

What were the guild Capital Ships like? Where they actual ships with space you could move around in?
I just have a mental image of some sort of ship with a fairly biggish size and you can chat, role play, or generally do anything like crafting and other creative things.
Tyren Vaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Zebular on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 am

Housing has always been something I have loved in MMO's. I even enjoyed Anarchy Online's housing apartments to some extend. *Zebular braces for the flogging*

However, I have yet to see any game master the gratification feeling and appealing nature of how Ultima Online's houses were in the past. As well as, that is one thing that the game continued to improve upon successfully when they released customizable houses you can now build step by step, wall by wall, floor by floor and decorate it to your heart's content. Until such is mastered again in another game, I'll just wish for a nice appealing house with plenty of storage and the ability to share the house with your alternative characters, friends, guild-mates, and so on.
Zebular

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:52 am

That sounds pretty cool. I would have never guessed Ultima On-line had player housing that in depth. I've only played SWG and so thats all I have to go by, but I loved the set up there. Mainly I think I liked the fact you could make cities and guild structures. Of course the sporadic houses everywhere on some planets was annoying, but over all I thought it was a great part of the game.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum