Player housing?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Player housing?

Post  Quinlan Sa'athis on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 am

Zebular wrote:Housing has always been something I have loved in MMO's. I even enjoyed Anarchy Online's housing apartments to some extend. *Zebular braces for the flogging*

However, I have yet to see any game master the gratification feeling and appealing nature of how Ultima Online's houses were in the past. As well as, that is one thing that the game continued to improve upon successfully when they released customizable houses you can now build step by step, wall by wall, floor by floor and decorate it to your heart's content. Until such is mastered again in another game, I'll just wish for a nice appealing house with plenty of storage and the ability to share the house with your alternative characters, friends, guild-mates, and so on.

Although there is a downside, running into a house that is loading on the landscape very 3 feet is not fun, lagging when recalling into a player town because of the shear number of items around you, our town was in Felucca so lag meant death, I can't say I was pleased when they split the world, its not like we could just move the entire bloody town, especially with grandfathered accounts with 5 houses on each.

As much as I hate to say it, housing must be instanced or the world will get way too full way to fast. Alderran with its lush fields will be a sea of houses.
Quinlan Sa'athis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 am

Quinlan Sa'athis wrote:As much as I hate to say it, housing must be instanced or the world will get way too full way to fast. Alderran with its lush fields will be a sea of houses.

I personally wouldn't mind some type of space for a guild structure though, similar to AoC's guild city, but have it more impactful in the game, as in have it actually serve an active purpose (other then to hang out or take screenshots) rather then giving you some passive bonuses you don't even notice.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Carlen Darko on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Quinlan Sa'athis wrote:
Zebular wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, housing must be instanced or the world will get way too full way to fast. Alderran with its lush fields will be a sea of houses.

Sounds like anywhere in the U.S. Confused
Carlen Darko

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 am

As long as i have a modified corellian freighter i can walk around in and customize the inside im good.

I think that would be the absolute best solution to housing. Everyone has a ship with limited storage and everyone starts with a fighter or small freighter and later on they can get bigger ones they can walk around in and customize just like the houses of SWG. I remember having a nice three story ship in SWG with couches and all kind of crap but what was great was i could go in the cockpit and start blasting away at ties or switch to my YT1300 and be Han Solo.

It was cooler then a house because it made more sense and you could look out the viewports at the planet and stuff.

Epic times...
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:06 am

Jasterk Staren wrote:As long as i have a modified corellian freighter i can walk around in and customize the inside im good.

I think that would be the absolute best solution to housing. Everyone has a ship with limited storage and everyone starts with a fighter or small freighter and later on they can get bigger ones they can walk around in and customize just like the houses of SWG. I remember having a nice three story ship in SWG with couches and all kind of crap but what was great was i could go in the cockpit and start blasting away at ties or switch to my YT1300 and be Han Solo.

It was cooler then a house because it made more sense and you could look out the viewports at the planet and stuff.

Epic times...

From what I read, we will have some sort of ship for housing. I do not know if this ship will actually be pilotable, but it will be for storage. Not sure if there will be decorating or not. Hard to guess since there are no crafting classes. I have a feeling space will be an expansion.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 am

Have they said any thing about player owning ships on the official website? By the way I think Just using your ship as a home would be the easyest thing to do other than that I dont care if the have houses or not.
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Arashi Storm on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:37 am

I remember reading an somewhere on the official forums about players would have a ship instead of a house. Of course that is not confirmed, that I know of, but I do remember reading it. It could have been from an interview but I can't remember exactly. I try to read every interview I run across.
Arashi Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:39 am

I think the ship idea is awesome. I remember a while back I wrote something about guild ships. I think it got mixed reviews.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasterk Staren on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 am

They will probably release it as an expansion so they can suck as much money out of the game as humanly possible. Then later release other expansions. Much like SWG.
Jasterk Staren

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel Marksman on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:15 am

I personally think Bioware is more concerned at being the best developer than making money ( I doubt it far behind though) and will probably try to cram as much stuff in to it as possible. On the other had Lucas arts like money alot and might make the decision for them.
Rebel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerard Halcyon on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:24 am

Garr Talon wrote:I think the ship idea is awesome. I remember a while back I wrote something about guild ships. I think it got mixed reviews.

Yea, I wanted to lead that little expedition but mixed opinions and life kinda killed it... Though, I still have the plans around here somewhere...

I think having a ship for housing would be most useful. Decorations or not, it'd tickle my balls, that's for sure. The only problem is I would like to pilot whatever craft I'm using as a base.
Gerard Halcyon

Back to top Go down

Post  Zebular on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm

I do like the sound of housing being a ship. That would be something very original and appealing to offer in respect to how housing has been introduced in the vast array of MMOs out there, I would think. My only concern is whether or not said ship would be able to be attacked by either players or NPCs. That might cause some turmoil and mixed feelings about that type of housing system.
Zebular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevlar on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:45 am

Zebular wrote:I do like the sound of housing being a ship. That would be something very original and appealing to offer in respect to how housing has been introduced in the vast array of MMOs out there, I would think. My only concern is whether or not said ship would be able to be attacked by either players or NPCs. That might cause some turmoil and mixed feelings about that type of housing system.

I think any type of housing system would be secure from player attacks, if it was open to pvp action then you'd open up the entire housing system to abuse.

I think any pvp action would be strictly limited to 'conflicted' zones/planets. Also I highly doubt that they would insert a space sim type game play into what is essentially an mmoRPG.

As far as I can see the housing will most likely be a workspace/storage-space/hangout zone, where you can talk to your companions, do some crafting, probably some aesthetic item customization and otherwise used to get you from zone to zone.

Think Ebon Hawk from KOTOR.
Kevlar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum